The general benefits of meditation have been well-researched and the practice of different kinds of meditation is significantly increasing in North America. Meditation is becoming more and more common in a variety of circles from yoga studios to corporate offices. Now, it’s also a key component of many pre-natal courses such as Hypnobirthing and Calm Birth. Even Lamaze classes encourage mothers to meditate regularly.
As a daily meditator, meditation coach, and mother of two young children I am absolutely passionate about the benefits of this amazing practice. Meditation has a positive impact in many areas of the practitioner’s life, including physical, emotional and spiritual. The benefits don’t stop there; your meditation practice also has a positive and powerful impact on those around you, including your family. Let me highlight the key benefits of meditation and inspire you to give it a try. Your life will be richer for it.
Physical benefits of meditation
- Balances blood pressure
- Increases melatonin level, which has a calming effect and can support a normal and restful sleep
- Increases hormone levels such as DHEA, a life-enhancing hormone
- Elevates levels of vivifying DHEA to your child through breast-feeding
- Increases endorphin levels, which promote the feeling of happiness
- Reduces adrenaline and cortisol in the system, thus improving the immune system
- Reduces insomnia
Emotional and Psychological Benefits of Meditation
Remember that what you are feeling your kids are also feeling too. They are an extension of you. A happy mommy makes for a happy baby and happy kids!
- Reduces anxiety, fears and depression
- Builds an emotional bond with your baby after delivery
- Calms the mind; allows you to see things more clearly
- Enables you to let go of unimportant things in favour of priorities and values
- Increases patience when facing common challenges with kids
- Enables more creative actions and reactions that make daily life more enjoyable
- Increases appreciation for the journey of motherhood
- Studies have shown that mothers who regularly meditate during pregnancy have babies that display calmer personalities and have lower rates of attention disorders.
Spiritual Benefits of Meditation
- Enables the development of a deep knowing about your life purpose including your purpose as a mother
- Allows you to see the bigger picture; provides a deeper perspective for your life and the life of your children
- Increases awareness vis-à-vis everyday parenting challenges
- Connects you to your inner guidance system as you journey through motherhood
There are many different types of meditation and I invite you to begin an exploration to find which technique works for you. Guided meditations can be an easy way for beginners to start.
I must admit it requires creativity to incorporate meditation in your life, especially as a mom. I have meditated in so many different situations: on the subway, while I’m breastfeeding (my favourite!), sitting with my eyes closed while my son watches TV, in the car (when someone else is driving), in a parking lot before an appointment, to name a few. The possibilities are endless. Don’t let your life get in the way. Meditation will enhance your life in so many ways.